SC - Huswifes handmaide & proper Newe Booke of Cokerye

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 14 17:07:49 PDT 1999

Thomas Gloning wrote:

> Adamantius wrote:
> <<<  <hah.> Compare the above to this, from "A proper Newe Booke of
> Cokerye", c.~1545 C.E. : >>>
>
> This is a very valuable observation! Pretty much the 'same' text with
> some differences in spelling, wording and syntax. Looks like plundering
> or dependence from the same source.
>
> I never saw the 'A proper Newe Booke of Cokerye' before, but I think
> someone should transcribe and web it ...
>
> Thanks!
> Thomas

My pleasure!

I wish I could remember where I read this, but it seems to have slipped
my mind in the rush of Real Life (tm): _Some_where, I recently read that
before any degree of standardization of copyright laws in England, it
was fairly common practice to plagiarize (i.e. reissue without
permission) previously published works with the simple qualifier "New"
added to the title. So publisher and author A release "Ye Olde
Delightfulle Booke of Kewle Stuffe for ye Likely House Wyffe", and in a
year or two it was perfectly possible for publisher B to issue "Ye
_Newe_ Olde Delightefulle Booke of Kewle Stuffe for ye Lykely House Wyffe".

Of course, they're probably both quoting Galen anyway ;  ) . But the
most obviously valuable information to be gleaned from this, I'd say, is
that the information as published in the source you originally quoted
(was it John Murrell?) remains virtually unchanged after 50 years since
its publication in the earlier source. Whether this information is just
something that was published or actually represents prevailing
medical/culinary practice is unknown. At least from this sample.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com