SC - Has anyone ever encountered...

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri Oct 15 07:49:58 PDT 1999

>Terri Millette wrote:
>>
>> In my current stack of things about which I've been meaning to canvass
>> opinions and info from youse guys, I am wondering if anyone else has
>> ever run across, heard of, seen, or otherwise had enter their personal
>>universe:
>>
>> A) A [probably South] German ravioli-like dumpling known in English as a
>> pig's ear, filled with some kind of curd cheese, and served with melted
>>butter,
>>
>> No, no, pigs ears are just that, and brown and crunchy  and the dog
>> gets them :>) but he and I would love your version too, hope some one
>> finds it
>> Fiona
>
>This is something my late father used to speak of as something his
>mother used to cook when he was a child. I have a pretty fair idea of
>how they're prepared. I'm just looking for some kind of evidence
>suggesting whether they're a traditional food somewhere, or just
>something my grandma made up.
>
>Adamantius
>--
>Phil & Susan Troy
>
>troy at asan.com

Could this be Topfenknödel (cottage cheese dumplings)?
"The main ingredient of this marvelous specialty was a dry curd cheese
(like a hard, pressed farmer's cheese)... [the curd] must not be too
creamy.  Beside sieved curd cheese, the mixture contained salt, butter,
eggs, and semolina or flour... the dumplings must be simmered in water.
They had to be served at once, with melted butter and sugar... They are
often served with Zwetschkenroester (thickly stewed ripe plums) and toasted
breadcrumbs fried in butter." From "The Cooking of the Viennese Empire", p.
126, part of the Time-Life series Foods of the World, 1982.  This recipe is
given in a separate booklet, which I don't have.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"