SC - summer feast

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sat Oct 16 21:55:03 PDT 1999

I have had a lot of success working with period recipes that have potential
to be OOP canned, ie, Menagier has recipes for working with veges etc that
can be pickled. These can sit for months and just need to be opened and
served up. I know that modern canning methods didn't originate until the
1800's or so but the recipe really doesn't need to be adjusted, only the
method so that there is food safety covered.

I was lucky enough to be brought up in a household that regularly canned
food, so I had a head start in learning. However the process is relatively
simple, just requires a high standard of cleanliness and following the
instructions. I suggest picking up a book at your local library on canning
and experimenting. You may want to stick with "pickle" recipes (using
vinegar) if you are just starting out. There is less risk of bacteria growth
than preserving meat or low acidic foods which require a high pressure canner.

I would be happy to discuss this with you off line, as this is an OOP method
and I don't wish to clog up the list. Feel free to contact me personally.

BTW, I have a great pickled beet recipe that I adapted from Apicius (Roman
early period) but I would think that there are other beet recipes out there
that are later period.I haven't searched recently. This is a good time of
year to get beets cheap.

In service,
Hauviette