SC - summer feast

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Sat Oct 16 22:21:49 PDT 1999

>BTW, I have a great pickled beet recipe that I adapted from Apicius (Roman
>early period) but I would think that there are other beet recipes out there
>that are later period.I haven't searched recently. This is a good time of
>year to get beets cheap.
>
>In service,
>Hauviette

Well, if you know of period beet recipes that actually use the root and not the
leaves, then I'm all ears. A lot of the beet recipes in Menagier are not
strictly speaking "beet" recipes but "beet leaf" recipes. The only recipe I've
seen with beets (and even then it isn't clear if the root or the leaves are
used) is Hare in Wortys where the beets are part of the sauce.

36 lbs of beets and no period recipes that use them. Harumph.

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL