SC - Period Beet Recipes (was: summer feast)

Nick Sasso njs at mccalla.com
Tue Oct 19 11:39:47 PDT 1999

Greetings and many thanks for sharing the beet preservation techniques here.  I just wanted to add two things for your and anyone else's use:

1)  The pop is from the hot air cooling and contracting, creating a vacuum to pull the dome lid down.  If air ran in, it would add spoiling agents to the yummies inside.  The 'whoosh' you here when you open the canned food is the rush of air inside to fill the now vacuum sealed jar.

2)  I'm thinking that spoiled food put in the yard will not harm water and our fauna so much as you might first think.  'Food' rots all the time in the environs and makes nutrients for other species like muchrooms and plants 9agter becoming humous. . not hummus).  Also, those bacteria harmful to our digestiuve tract are not always so to other critters who may happen upon your discarded stash.  Dump the food and let nature take it's course as long as you are using ingredients relatively close to their original state, e.g. no preservative chemicals or things like dioxins.

Just some info and thoughts.

pacem et bonum,

niccolo difrancesco