SC - fylettys in Galentine and endored?

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Tue Oct 19 23:35:15 PDT 1999

Adamantius wrote:
>cclark at vicon.net wrote:
>>
>> Cindy Renfrow wrote:
>> >Hi! AFAIK, galentine at this time was a sauce with vinegar & breadcrumbs, &
>> >sometimes onions & spices.
>>
>> From what I can recall (mainly from the 14th c.), the most typical spices
>> are galingale, cinnamon, and ginger. These are the one I use (in that order)
>> when galantine powder is called for.
>
>According to Constance Hieatt, in an article written for the Oxford
>Symposium on Food and Drink, the one consistent common factor about the
>various versions of galantine is that there is abso-floggin'-lutely no
>common factor. ...

Approximately true, though this refers more to Cindy's point than to mine.
One could argue that whatever galantine is, it contains or accompanies
cooked vertebrate animal parts (meat or fish). Otherwise the common factors
seem to go by subgroups of recipes, as I have just found from going back to
the source for my previous comment.

There are eight galantine recipes* in _Curye on Inglysch_ by Hieatt and
Butler: five for lampreys or lamprouns, two for "fylettes," and one for a
sauce. The "fylettes" are spiced with pepper, and one also calls for
saunders, parsley and hyssop. The lampreys & lamprouns are mostly spiced
with cinnamon, ginger and galingale, and these three are also the only
spices in the sauce.

One lamprey recipe doesn't mention any spices by name, but comes just after
a recipe that calls for a galantine made of galingale, ginger and cinnamon -
the implication seems to be that the same spices were used. Otherwise the
only variations in spice for the lampreys are: one omits ginger and
galingale while adding pepper, saffron and cloves, one adds cloves, and one
omits cinnamon.

Some other recipes call for galantine as an ingredient, such as III 24
(fresh lamprey) where it seems to be a sauce, and II 30 (mawmenny) which
calls for powder of galantine.

Conclusions for 14th century English cooking:

Fylettes in Galantine are spiced with pepper and may contain herbs or saffron.

Lampreys & Lamprouns in Galantine, and Galantine Sauce, are usually spiced
with galingale, cinnamon and ginger, and may contain cloves or (rarely)
other spices. Lampreys are very often served in or with galantine.

*Recipe numbers: I 51; II 68, 69; IV 30, 120, 130, 131, 142.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon