SC - distilling laws

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Wed Oct 20 07:16:03 PDT 1999

James the Black Writeth:

> I think I already understand the point, but how else beside fermentation is one
> going to make (ethanol) alcohol?

the technical answer:

The Treasury Department (BATF) makes no distinction on the process by which
ethanol comes into existence. All Alchol in the US is considered by the BATF to
be "Taxes Owing" from the moment it "comes into existence by any method".
This, by the way, includes fermentation. The BATF does, however, offer an
exemption to taxes owing, for the first 100 gal of beer produced per year (100 gals
in a one adult houshold, or 200 gals in a 2 or more adult houshold) for PERSONAL
USE. The same exemption is provided for the production of PERSONAL USE
Wine. If  a) that amount is exceeded, or B) if the Alcohol is adulterated or concentrated
in any fashion, or c) it is sold, or given in exchange for goods or services of any kind
(including for public service at paid attendance events of non-profit organizations),
then Exemption is withdrawn and the entire quantity of alcohol is taxes owing, and
all pertinent paperwork and site regulations are in full effect, and the failure to
a) file paperwork, b) provide site access, c) penal bonding, d) obtain necessary
permits, and e) prepay taxes and thus obtain the required stamps, is considered
Criminal activity, and the ATF can prosecute you, jail you without benefit of full
jury trial, and at their discretion, seize all your funds, assets, goods, and properties.

> Distillation basically _concentrates_ the
> existing alcohol produced by the yeast in the fermentation process. Basically,
> distilling alcohol in the US sans the Treasury license is illegal.

Correct on all counts.

> Does this also apply to Canada, Lochac, Drachenwald, and other none USA
> territories of the SCA?

That will of course vary by local laws. In New Zealand, Distilling is legal. In
other areas, all alchohol production could be prohibited. Check with your
local authorities.

Brandu Mag Oireachtaigh (a fellow Gael, Seamus!)