SC - period beet recipes (?)

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Wed Oct 20 18:51:38 PDT 1999

I am not a native speaker of English, so translating and identifying
plant names is quite dangerous for me. Anyway: Here are two recipes from
the "Rheinfraenkisches Kochbuch" (about 1445), that might have something
to do with beets. Both the leaves and the roots are used here. This in a
somewhat simplified transcription:

||30|| Wiltu einen behenden guden kappus machen so grab mangolt usz mit
den worczelen vnd wesche daz gar suberlich vnde sude isz ïn gesalczem
wasser in eime kessel bisz daz isz genuch sij So czuge isz usz vnd lege
isz von ein ander uff ein schone bret adir duch vnd lasz isz wol kalten
So du yme die ubirhut abe vnd lege isz dan in eine geschiere vnd du
senff eszig honig vnd saffran darczu so hastu einen guden kappusz

||31|| den selben kappus magistu auch machen mit suszem puluer vnd vigen
da in sieden vnd win eszig vnd winber vnd mandelkerne dar uff strauwen
vnd du magist auch mispelen beren vnd allerhande dar in dune beide ruben
snydde vnd kappusz

***

Lady Allison Poinvillars de Tours/Lyn Parkinson sent me an English
translation of these two recipes several weeks ago.

Cheers,
Thomas