SC - Period Beet Recipes (was: summer feast)

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Thu Oct 21 20:52:14 PDT 1999

>The only recipe I've seen with beets (and even then it isn't clear if the root
>or the leaves are used) is Hare in Wortys where the beets are part of the sauce.

And now that I've taken a closer look at it, I've changed my mind. I think the
greens were used in the sauce as everything else in it includes greens and other
plant matter. Worts, after all, do mean greens.

Drat. I think I'm going to have to use a modern recipe (grit teeth) that simply
prepares the beets. A modern Burgundian beet salad is just roasted, diced beets,
wine vinegar, olive oil, and a bit of sugar. Mix the last three ingredients
together, pour over the warm beets, and let marinate for an hour or so. Can't
get much easier than that.

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL