SC - Another Chard Name

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 03:09:29 PDT 1999

Saluti,

The answer to the Latin name question from my father (Mr Green Thumb himself
- - a trait I unfortunately didn't inherit);

===================================
Dear Tina
Surely you knew that no matter what the colour of the stems of Silver Beet
(Swiss Chard) its real name is :--
Beta Vulgaris var Cicla

Beet root on the other hand is :--
Beta Vulgaris.

5930 BEET - (RED STEMS) (Bie) [A]
Beta vulgaris var cicla 1.2.3.
Rhubarb Chard, Swiss Chard, or Silver Beet, is a member of the beet family
and
withstands heat and droughts better than most other greens,
The leaves are rich in vitamins and can be served raw, boiled or steamed.
The leaf stems can be cut into Lengths and used as a substitute for
Asparagus and also for Celery.
Harvest by using the outer leaves and it will continue to produce.
Adds some much needed colour to the vegetable patch, or is even worthy
of a place in the flower garden. Approximately 55 days to maturity.
5945 BEET - BRIGHT LIGHTS (Bie) [B]
Beta vulgaris var cicla 1.2.3.
Bright Lights, a vibrant new Swiss Chard - 1998 All American Winner.
Distinguished by stems of many different colours, it is dazzlingly
attractive in all stages of growth.
Vigorous and widely adopted, "Bright Lights" will be the star in any garden.
The stems vary greatly in colour, the main colours are yellow gold, pink
and crimson with secondary colours including pink and white stripped,
orange, scarlet, purple, white and green with intermediate pastels.
Each colour is present in subtle variation.
Maturity in 3-5 weeks, for young salad greens, 7-10 weeks for mature size
plants.
Note we suggest brief cooking, since the colour fades with lengthy cooking.
Beginning in 1977 with the parent plants, a red one and a yellow one and
after crossing these to the standard green and white
 5946 BEET - FIVE COLOUR MIX (Bie) [B]
Beta vulgaris var cicla 1.2.3.
An Australian developed mix of coloured Silver Beet or Chard in a
mixture of many colour variations from the basic red, yellow, orange,
cream or white.

Next you will want to know how to cook it. Try it sprinkled with celery
seeds

(paternal joke - I don't much care for silverbeet, but absolutely loathe
celery)

Al Vostro e al Servizio del Sogno
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536