SC - Russian dishes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Oct 22 07:57:42 PDT 1999

At 1:14 AM -0500 10/22/99, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>Unfortunately, there don't appear to be many period Russian recipes.

That's an understatement. There are a few that can be found in Domostroi
which are probably late period, and that's it, so far as I know.

>Although
>Russia was an area that changed slowly. I've heard comments that the Middle
>Ages really didn't end in Russia until the 18th century. So, unlike Italy
>for instance, some of the sources technically out of our period of study
>may still be valid.

Middle Ages didn't end in what sense? Politics, economics, food,
literature, religion? There is no reason to assume that those go together.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/