SC - Russian dishes

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 24 18:17:32 PDT 1999

> >  I will be having some Guests from Russian during the first week of
> > Novemeber.
> > Does anyone have some period Russian dishes I can make.
> > Thanks Frederich
>
>If I may make a suggestion, and I mean you no ill will in saying this,
>but if they're coming here from Russia, they might be looking forward
>to something _besides_ Russian food. ...
>
>If they were coming my way ... let's see ... fried chicken, cornbread,
>barbecue, corn on the cob, greens and vinegar, stewed okra and
>tomatoes, sweet iced tea, pecan pie ... regional staples in Tennessee

However, consider that if Freiderich is feeding some sort of delegation or
traveling group, everyone they meet with may think how interesting to do
that!  And the delegation may well be sick of all the variations on local
specialties.  I'm reminded of the time (insert forgotten name of English
cathedral here) Boys Choir visited the Triangle area while on a U.S. tour.
They performed in a joint concert with a local boys choir.  It was preceded
by a picnic which the English boys were thoroughly disgusted to find they
were being served "typical" American cook-out/picnic food-AGAIN.  They had
burgers and hot dogs most every stop on their tour, and un-like their
American coutnerparts, they didn't find such a diet nice day after day. That
ours included the local version of Barbecue didn't really help.  My
co-worker's son had aged out of the local group next time the English group
came round, she heard their tour managers had learned to arrange this
difficulty away.

Bonne