SC - distillation

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 25 11:51:33 PDT 1999

Liam Fisher wrote:

> >Where did you get this information? As a master sommelier, I have always
> >been
> >taught and still teach others that NO KNOWN human pathogenic organisms can
> >survive the brewing process. Is this another form of government propaganda
> >discourage home brewing?
>
> Nah, if you were to NOT follow some semi-rigorous sterilization process in
> your brewing/distilling you might have outside microbiological contamination
> either from various undesired yeasts or from bacteria.  Most just make it
> unpleasant to drink, others make you dead.

I'm kind of inclined to agree with Ras here (gasp!). It's not that I'm
certain that the pH and alcohol  levels of wines, ales, etc., are not
conducive to the growth of pathogenic life forms, nor that they couldn't
produce potentially fatal toxins. It's just that I've never heard of
this happening (not surprising!). Maybe there's something that produces
a spectrum of chemical toxins that no one in their right mind would
actually drink (i.e. wine reeking, say, of hydrogen sulfide). Can you
name a bacterium of the type you're referring to? Maybe it's something
not known to al Sayyid Aaq'l... ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy