SC - Re: Tom Lehrer

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Wed Oct 27 05:57:29 PDT 1999

Also, if you are not familiar with Tom Lehrer you should be!  I still
have 78s done by him...some of his old  favorites are Poisoning Pigeons
in the Park, The Vatican Rag, The Old Dope Peddler, Masochistic Tango.
They are available on CDs now too.  With Lehrer you can't go wrong if
you have a sense of bizarre humor (If Firesign is your cup of tea, he
probably is too).  I found him in the sixties, but he has been around
since the fifties.   Dee/Isabella

Tom Lehrer's first LP {try explaining that term to a 12 yr old!} was
released back in 1953.  My dad let me have his "Newly Recorded" album
when I went off to college in 1978 {for some reason, my mom didn't
object to it leaving their house}.  He plays the piano a la Mark Russell
and his humor is generally biting satire.  For example, "I Wanna Go Back
to Dixie" recalls the glorious days of the South {"whuppin' slaves and
sellin' cotton"} and "Be Prepared" is a unique interpretation of the Boy
Scout motto {"be prepared to hold your liquor pretty well, don't write
naughty words on walls if you can't spell"}. Some of it is dated by now,
but the cover says it best "The songs bear witness to the success of the
project to which he has devoted his life, namely, the attempt to prolong
adolescence beyond all previous limits."

In 1967, I was 7 and we'd just been stationed at RAF Lakenheath in
Suffolk, England.  We spent the next 6 years in England and I wish I'd
been older when we went {"Aw Mom, do we have to go to another castle?"}.

John le Burguillun