SC - Recipe 4-Weekend of Wisdom

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Oct 27 16:07:01 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/27/99 2:16:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lilinah at grin.net writes:

<< These cured pork bits are used to add richness and flavor. 'Course I
 could be wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten in reading
 several books on medieval cuisine. But I'm still wet behind the ears,
 medieval cuisine-ly speaking... >>

That is definitely what their purpose was in the leek recipe, IMO. Leeks and
pigs are both harvested at the same time of year so the use of fresh pork
would seem logical. Using salt pork chine could have served no other purpose
than flavor and it did add a wonderful flavor that turned a spiceless insipid
combination into a wonderful and tasty treat. :-)

Ras