SC - Re: prions

Stephanie Dale Ross aislinncc at mailcity.com
Thu Oct 28 12:30:07 PDT 1999

I read a book a couple of years ago by the man who discovered prions. Prions are misfolded protien molecules. The misfolding occurs spontaniously in one in 1 million people, and also in several different animals already mentioned by people on the list. When the prion enters the brian it triggers other protein molecules to fold the same way. The body reacts by getting rid of the prions and that is what causes holes in the brain. Normal sterilizing methouds can't "kill" it, not bleach or even the autoclave, so no amount of cooking will kill eat either. There was a documented case in the book where a woman got CJD after cataract surgery that used an infected utensil. The prions went through her eye into her brain and she died in less than a year. Prions concentrate in the brain but it is my understanding that they actually live throughout the body of an infected person/animal. Which means that bones and meat have the prion in them (and feces). I do not know if plants would take up the prions through the soil. I do know that it is possible to become infected by eating meat, not just the brains, although the brains bring on the symptoms quicker. Cows in Britain got it by eating bone meal from infected sheep and cows. It was recommended last year that if you put commercial bone meal on your garden, that you wear gloves and a mask over your face to prevent inhalation of it. So, you can get it via inhalation too. One of the recent cases of BSE in Britain happened to a vegetarian. Perhaps milk or cheese was infected in her case, but they don't know how she got it. Also, BSE or CJD has a LONG incubation time before symptoms begin, 30 years usually in humans. Only a small minority of folks have symptoms that come on quickly followed by swift death (one year or less). Half the population of Britian may be infected by now, but we won't know that for a few years. This is all very scary, and a good reason for me to want to stay vegetarian. I am fairly certain the gov't wouldn't let us know if US cows were infected until a good number of people came down with it.
Sorry so long, but it's something I know a little about...

Aislinn Columba of Carlisle
- ---
Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
                                   - Elie Wiesel