SC - Russian dishes

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 29 13:43:24 PDT 1999

Bread and Salt by  R.E.F. Smith says that some people feel that vodka was
introduced as early as the 14th century, but that probably vodka did not
appear until the 16th century.  The distillation process was probably
introduced by the West.

In the Pouncy translation of the Domostroi, there are references to
distilled spirits (which she translates as vodka), but the Russian term
used is vague (it simply means "spirits") and it could mean brandy (from
wine) or vodka (from grain) or both.

- --Yana

Yana (Ilyana Barsova)  jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
         http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
"Shchi da kasha, pischa nasha"
       -- Cabbage soup and kasha are our native food