SC - Need help with "Compost"

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Fri Oct 1 15:41:06 PDT 1999

And I don't mean that stuff you put in your garden...

I'm looking at Form of Cury and specifically at Compost. I'm having more trouble
than I'd like figuring out the ingredients and cooking process. Here's the
recipe as best that I can type it, considering I don't have the special
characters or superscripts.

Note: ? are the funny "p" character for the hard "th" sound, I'm guessing.

Take rote of psel (parsley root?), pasternak of rasens (carrots? parsnips?),
scrape hem and waisthe he clene, take rap (turnips) & caboch (cabbage) ypared
and icorne. take an erthen pane w clene wat & set it on the fire. cast all ?ise
?inne. when ?ey buth boiled cast ?to peer (pears?) & pboile hem wel. take ?ise
thyng up & lat it kele on a fair cloth, do ?to salt whan it is colde in a vessel
tkae vineg (vinegar) & powdo & safron & do ?to, & lat all ?ise thing lye ?in al
nyzt o? al day, take wyne greke and hony clarified togid lumbarde mustard
&raisons corance al hoo. & gyne powdo of canel powdo douce & ancys (anise) hole.
& fenell seed. take alle ?ise thing & cast togyd i apot of erthe. and tkae ?of
whan ? wilt & sue forth.

My guess is you take all the parsley root, carrots or parsnips, turnips and
cabbage, chunk them up and boil them in water. Then I'm not so sure. Looks like
pears are parboiled and added or just added and parboiled, the whole thing is
taken out of the cooking water and let cool. When cool it's put back in a pan
with salt, vinegar, and saffron where it's allowed to sit for a period of time.
Then greek wine and clarified honey along with lombard mustard, dried currents,
powdered cinnamon, powder douce, whole aniseed (?) and fennel seed are added.
It's served at room temperature.

Can anyone tell me if I'm on track or way out in left field?

Anyone want to take a guess on Greek wine and Lombard mustard?

Last question, it appears this is a "have it around just in case" dish; would it
have been served at dinner?

Thanks,

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL