SC - birds and beliefs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 2 05:30:27 PDT 1999

Christina van Tets wrote:

> Hello!  Cairistiona here.
>
> The remark about blue jays and sparrows being harbingers of death (I've read
> similar things about missel thrushes and others) made me wonder.  Is there
> any such notion connected with the repeated action of a satin bowerbird
> slamming itself into your window repeatedly for about an hour every morning
> while making a sound like an air-raid siren?  Just asking, because it used
> to happen, and the excuse could be useful one day...
>
> Cairistiona
> Don't tell me too many more examples of this kind of belief - it's all too
> easy to absorb them and I don't want to walk in fear.

Oh, don't worry. As long as they don't actually get in through the
window, the striges that have assumed the form of birds can't get in and
drink the blood of children. As for lamiae, they're easily identified by
their antisocial but otherwise harmless trait of plucking out their eyes
to frighten people. You'd think they wouldn't do that, as in the long
run it makes it more difficult to get inside houses to drink the blood
of children. I guess this is a case of pulling out one's eyes to spite
one's face.

As for birds behaving in a more than usually doofus-like manner in
regard to windows and such, I've heard it said that environmental
changes are screwing up many birds' magnetic guidance systems, literally
disorienting them.

Makes as much sense as any other explanation...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com