SC - Spanish salmon recipe (was: Spanish noodles)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Oct 3 07:56:10 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 3 Oct 99,, that david friedman wrote:

> >Please do!  I'm still very new at redacting, and would love to see what

> >an experienced cook does with that one.

> I'm actually not that experienced with fish, but this is what I came up

> with.

> CAZUELA DE SALMON -- Salmon Casserole

> from _Libro de Guisados_ by Ruperto de Nola (Spanish, 1529)

> translation Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba, Settmour Swamp (Robin

> Carroll-Mann)

[snip]

</color>> 1.9 lb salmon

> 1/8 t pepper

> 1/4 t ginger

> 15 threads saffron

> 1/4 t salt

> 3 T verjuice (or sour orange juice)

> 1/4 c blanched almonds

> 3 T raisins

> 1 T pine nuts

> 1 t fresh marjoram

> 1 T fresh parsley

> 1 t fresh mint

[snip]

</color>The difference that I note in your version: first of all, you did the stovetop
thing, whereas I was nervous about trying to cook it that way, and went
with the oven alternative which is suggested in several similar recipes for
other varieties of fish.  You used less juice and smaller quantities of
herbs and spices (for a larger piece of salmon) than I did.  And you used
more nuts and raisins.  I supose any redaction will inevitably reflect
personal preferences.  There's a wonderful line at the end of the noodles
(fideos) recipe, when De Nola is explaining that milk is an optional
ingredient: "but everything is in [accord with] the appetites of the men
who eat it, and with this pottage there is no need to cast sugar upon the
dishes; however sugar never harms the food, and the excellence is in
this; that each one does according to his taste."<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param>

<FontFamily><param>Arial</param>> It came out looking very Nouvelle Cuisine--the contrasting colors of the

> pine nuts, saffron, and verjuice.

</color>At Pennsic, I attended Master Basilicus' class on Italian Ren cooking
(he's translating one of the major cookbooks).  He comment several
times that sweet-and-sour is the keynote flavor of Renaissance cuisine.

</color>I just used the greenest-looking juice oranges that I could find.  I might
in the future throw in a touch of vinegar or lemon juice to give it
additional sharpness.

Thank you for the input.

Brighid

<nofill>