SC - Guinea Pig

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 08:37:50 PDT 1999

>Calvin W. Schwabe's "Unmentionable Cuisine" has a few guinea pig
>recipes, and refers to Peruvian housewives removing a couple of >kitchen
>floor tiles to make a little underground pen to fatten the >cavies on
>potato peelings and such. He specifies that, as Ras says, >they are _not_
>skinned, but rather scalded and scraped of their fur, >which apparently
>comes off pretty easily once they're scalded. I have >to say I think it's
>unlikely the hairs would stay firmly enough >attached to the skin to
>support any weight when the muscle tissue was >tender enough to suck off
>the bones.

Now are you talking about cavies or guinea pigs here?  They're related, but
the cavy is MUCH larger than what we get here in
our pet stores.  In South America, they have a species that
dwells in swamps that is the size of a dog.  South American
cavies are about the size of a cat, if I remember correctly,
a far cry from our 8oz abysinnian or straighthair in the pet
store.

Cadoc