SC - Spanish salmon recipe (was: Spanish noodles)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Oct 4 21:36:45 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 3 Oct 99,, that Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Do late-period Spanish recipes show a greater use of saffron than
> elsewhere?

Not that I've noticed.  Saffron appears in many Spanish recipes; but
then again, it appears in many French and Anglo-Norman recipes, too.

> Since saffron was grown in Spain, and I presume was cheaper
> there, perhaps it was used in greater quantity there?

I believe that saffron was also grown in England in period.  Isn't that how
the town of Saffron Waldron got its name?

> Or are the amounts unknown and simply up to the recipe interpreter?

There are no amounts given for spices in this particular recipe, nor in
most of the Spanish recipes I have seen.  A handful of recipes call for
"mucho azafran" (a lot of saffron), but most do not seem to suggest a
large quantity.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)