SC - Bread and Rise time

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 5 03:37:54 PDT 1999

Deborah Schumacher wrote:

> sure the bread i got is airy there is a whole in the center of the loaf
> about the size of a half doller, running through  half the loaf, not sure i
> could make Sandwiches with it.. But Is such a long rise time good? I mean,
> why? Just wondering what opinion on it is. I haven't done bread making in
> ages, maybe i should get going on it again.

Some people (and I mean _some_) prefer the more complex taste of breads
(especially sourdoughs) leavened in this way. The large bubbles are
characteristic of most of the baguettes (usually a long sourdough
"stick" perhaps two and a half feet long, made from high gluten flour,
very crunchy and chewy) that I'm familiar with. The trick is to
carefully regulate the temperature, because there is the risk of both
yeast mutation and loaf collapse.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy