SC - birds and beliefs

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 5 07:46:35 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/5/99 10:20:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

<< but is there any superstition associated with the pilated woodpecker who
 insistently drums on the flashing around my chimney, morning after morning
 at sunup until midday?

 Bonne >>

None that I am aware of but, if you are an old wife you could observe the
occurrences surrounding the drumming and create your own old wives tale. Or,
if you are a wise woman, you can create a new bit of wisdom. Perhaps, if the
woodpecker drums at your chimney, you will hear good news of a distant
relative or..... if you hear a woodpecker drumming on your chimney on St.
Martha's Day, a plentiful harvest is on the way but heard on St. Anthony's
day, famine is sure to stay.

The possibilities are endless. :-)