SC - Moroccan Food and Disturbing Trend

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Wed Oct 6 04:39:49 PDT 1999

You had a nice point, master Adamantius!
I feel myself touched by your description, because I am not a member of
the SCA (yet) and I post often recipes I get from secondary sources.
But I really feel all the scholars who are really interested in the
orthodoxy of "period food" has also right of question and analyze the
recipes.
In the beginning, I was more "deffensive", now I post recipes, I try to
quotate as right and clear as possible, but I am not assuming all I post
is going to be passed without discussion and I am not assuming either my
recipes or my references have any scientifical weight. I am merely a
curious amateur in this subject and try to learn me as much I can.
I think this is the difference between this list and others lists, only
concerned with the exchange of recipes.
I really welcome the discussion and the possibility of learning more
about the "travels" of the food.
By the way, when I was in Nice for first time, last year, I ate some
wonderful local speciality, it was called "socca" and was done with
chickpeasflour and oliveoil.
I was amazed, because I knew this local speciality to be an Rio de la
Plata, only made in Buenos Aires and Montevideo. We call it "fainá", and
I wondered why had this speciality from Nice travel all the way to the
South of South America.
Some friend told me it was the same dish, eaten in Liguria, the North of
Italy, called in Italy "faina" in a local dialect and called in Nice
"socca", dialect too.
Nice was until the last century part of Italy and many people emigrated
from Nice to Buenos Aires and Montevideo when the city was given to
France. They didnt want be part of France and they took the way of
exile.
Interesting way to speak about "travelling food".
Ana

Philip & Susan Troy skrev:

> Hullo, the list!
>
> I'm sorry, maybe I missed something here that would help explain this
> phenomenon, but I'm a little concerned about this.
>
> Could we perhaps not force people into a defensive stance when they're
> nice enough to post a recipe? Yes, it would be nice if the recipes
> people posted were suitably period for SCA use, but not everyone on this
> list is a member of the SCA, and we do occasionally venture into
> non-period interests. Even Twinkies.
>
> I'm not advocating anybody presenting anything as period that isn't, but
> a knee-jerk response that Ingredient X could not have been period for
> reason Y is probably not the best reaction to somebody simply describing
> something nice that they cooked, and there's no reason why someone
> should apologize for a recipe that produces good food and took some
> trouble to post. Apart from simply asking, once, "Does this recipe come
> from a period source?", and receiving the answer, "No", I can't imagine
> any reason not to just get on with life.
>
> Of course, if we all _really_ felt that people shouldn't post such
> recipes, we could just say that, but I really don't think this is the
> case, and I think this list would be much the poorer for such a restriction.
>
> I apologize for feeling curmudgeonly this morning. I consider this an
> aberration of group behavior, am not pointing the finger at any
> individual, and if I didn't have such great respect for this group I
> wouldn't hold out hopes of changing a group dynamic I consider unworthy
> of us.
>
> Thanks for your time, folks!
>
> Adamantius
> --