SC - Grewe's Almohade Cookbook edition

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Wed Oct 6 16:04:10 PDT 1999

<< I suppose there is no chance of getting a copy of the manuscript [of
the Almohade Cookbook]? >>

What Grewe called 'Almohade Cookbook' is part of what he called the
'Colin manuscript'. There is already an edition of this cookbook by
Huici Miranda (in two versions: one as a self contained publication in
1965, on in the 'Revista del Instituto de estudios islámicos 9/10
(1961/62), both mentioned by Grewe. Then there seems to be a translation
into modern Spanish by Huici Miranda (not mentioned by Grewe):
- -- A. Huici Miranda: Traduccion espan~ola de un manuscrito anónimo del
siglo XIII sobre la cocina hispano-magribi. Madrid 1966.

I had this translation in hands recently, but did not see the editons
myself.

Grewe said that the edition is not satisfactory mainly because of the
lack of notes and because the editor did not see, "that some of the
folios had been misplaced when the manuscript was bound", and thus,
"many recipes are truncated and improperly connected" (p. 142).

Thus, I assume that we have:
(1) two versions of a printed edition (that Grewe thought
unsatisfactory),
(2) a translation into modern Spanish (based upon the edition Grewe
thought unsatisfactory),
(3) a manuscript "in poor physical condition": the whereabouts should be
mentioned in the Huici Miranda edition.

Thomas