SC - Food migration

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Wed Oct 6 16:20:21 PDT 1999

>I'm deeply interested in food migration also; there are foods commonly
>eaten in New York State that just perplex me. For example there's an
>entire sub-cuisine of seafood dishes that is very common all across the
>state, and most of the state has no oceanfront. It occurred to me to
>wonder just why you can get raw oysters on the half-shell in half the
>bars and restaurants in, say, Binghamton, New York. I think it's the
>result of railroad expansion and the use of refrigerated cars in the
>nineteenth century that has led to some interesting culinary
>cross-pollination.

This is so interesting Master A.  I like this food migration topic also, and
we've talked about this in various contexts before on the list (the Celtic
foods, the Greek dish that also is eaten in Iceland etc).

A couple of things.
Do you think it's the expansion of the ability to travel and carry the food
and dishes etc (refrigerated or whatever) further and further is the main
(modern anyway) way that foods migrated?  Or is re-location and migration of
peoples more the thing?  And what about trade?  I know Nanna has expressed
the view also that some of the dishes we in Wales have in common with
Icelanders might have well just developed independently in parallel because
of resource similarity etc. rather than to have  travelled from one of the
two countries to the other.

The other thing is can, (and how can) we prove by this migration concept that
certain peoples existed in a certain location by dishes still made and eaten
there?

Elysant