SC - Grewe's Almohade Cookbook edition

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Oct 6 18:43:20 PDT 1999

At 12:04 AM +0100 10/7/99, Thomas Gloning wrote:
><< I suppose there is no chance of getting a copy of the manuscript [of
>the Almohade Cookbook]? >>
>
>What Grewe called 'Almohade Cookbook' is part of what he called the
>'Colin manuscript'. There is already an edition of this cookbook by
>Huici Miranda (in two versions: one as a self contained publication in
>1965, on in the 'Revista del Instituto de estudios islámicos 9/10
>(1961/62), both mentioned by Grewe. Then there seems to be a translation
>into modern Spanish by Huici Miranda (not mentioned by Grewe):
>-- A. Huici Miranda: Traduccion espan~ola de un manuscrito anónimo del
>siglo XIII sobre la cocina hispano-magribi. Madrid 1966.
>
>I had this translation in hands recently, but did not see the editons
>myself.
>
>Grewe said that the edition is not satisfactory mainly because of the
>lack of notes and because the editor did not see, "that some of the
>folios had been misplaced when the manuscript was bound", and thus,
>"many recipes are truncated and improperly connected" (p. 142).
>
>Thus, I assume that we have:
>(1) two versions of a printed edition (that Grewe thought
>unsatisfactory),
>(2) a translation into modern Spanish (based upon the edition Grewe
>thought unsatisfactory),
>(3) a manuscript "in poor physical condition": the whereabouts should be
>mentioned in the Huici Miranda edition.

The cookbook that Huici Miranda translated as "Manuscrito Anonimo" is the
Arabic cookbook that Charles Perry translated into English a few years back
(including correcting some mistakes that he attributed to misplaced pages)
and is included in Volume II of my collection. It's 13th century, however.
I thought we were talking about something earlier.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com