SC - Food migration

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Thu Oct 7 09:46:54 PDT 1999

Henry of Maldon wrote
>Not to suggest that recipes can't be independently invented more than once,
>but I see no reason why this one couldn't have originated with one source.

Yes, well, in this instance there are a couple of reasons:
1) both recipes include potatoes and rutabagas, definitely not grown in
Viking times in either country, and carrots, which the Huns may have known
early on but the Icelanders definitely didn´t.
2) prior to the late 18th century, the Icelandic soup didn´t include any
vegetables at all, because no vegetables were grown in Iceland then. Sure
there are some traces of Hunnish influence to be found here (for instance,
Atli (Attilla) is still a very popular given name in Iceland, and Húni is
used also). But not in the 18th-19th centuries.

Nanna