SC - Red Sandalwood (Sanders) ,(was [TY] cooking query)

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Oct 7 12:41:54 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/07/1999 9:16:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
njs at mccalla.com writes:

<<
 You should also know that the sandalwood used for making saunders/sanders is
different from the sandalwood for incense and candalmaking.  It is a
different wood.  Niether is toxic, but the wrong one will have little
coloring value and taste a lot more like sawdust.

 If you grind your own, be sure your get the right species of tree    8-)

 pacem et bonum,

 niccolo difrancesco >>

    Right! If I recall correctly, the Red Sandalwood that is used for
coloring has little fragrance/flavor (And mine certainly seems to bear that
out!), while the yellow/tan variety is the scented kind, used in incense and
essential oils. The later, at least, I've read is endangered from over
harvesting, to the point that a soapmaker friend of mine will no longer use
or sell the oil................ :-(

                Ldy Diana