SC - Food migration

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Oct 7 17:12:42 PDT 1999

Ras wrote:
>I had read somewhere that lichens were used as vegetables. Was this an
error?
>And if not lichen recipes are always welcome. :-)

No, quite correct - they weren´t grown, however, but gathered. I was
referring to proper vegetables but a few wild plants were used as
vegetables - lichens, angelica stalks and roots, and a couple of others. But
thanks for reminding me - I´m in the middle of a grand haggis-making (have
been cutting and sewing up sheep stomachs all evening) and had almost
forgotten that I was going to add lichen to one batch. Now if I could only
find that Romanian haggis recipe I was planning to try out, I´d be very
happy ...

But anyway, here is a lichen recipe for you:

Lichen marmalade

Boil 5 dl (2 cups) of finely chopped Iceland moss in a small amount of water
for 3-5 minutes, until you have a fairly thick porridge. Add syrup or sugar
(1 part syrup to 2 parts lichen) and stir until blended. Pour into jars.
Keeps for many months and improves with age.

Nanna