SC - Middle Low German Cookery book

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Sat Oct 9 08:49:50 PDT 1999

Rhiannon asked about the Middle Low German Cookery book and about Wiswe
("When does this date from?  And who is Wiswe?").

THe Middle Low German Cookery book is contained in a 15th century
manuscript now in the Herzog August-Bibliothek, Wolfenbuettel. It is
important because most of the manuscripts with German cooking recipes up
to 1500 (there are about 50 such manuscripts) are in the High German
dialect, then spoken and written in the middle and southern parts of
Germany. One section of these recipes resembles closely to some of the
Harpestraeng-recipes (13. century), Nanna mentioned earlier.

Hans Wiswe is the editor of this cookery book. He published it in 1956
in the 'Braunschweigisches Jahrbuch' together with a short introduction
and a valuable glossary. Two years later he published a 'Nachlese', some
additional comments on this text. Wiswe was an outstanding expert on
German cookbooks. His 'Kulturgeschichte der Kochkunst' (1970) might give
you some idea. I am very glad to have some books, that he owned, in my
library now.

<< I think I missed something >>

No, you did not miss anything. I announced it out of the blue and
without background information, sorry for that.

Enjoy,
Thomas