SC - Platina

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Tue Oct 12 18:18:04 PDT 1999

I managed to get the mallinckrodt book through a dealer for about $100
nearly two years ago.  I was ecstatic when I received it.

Then, almost immediately, the Milham Platina came out, and it is far, far
superior.  The Mallinckrodt has virtually no background, introductory, or
other material.  It is typed (yes typed, on typewriter, one key at a time)
and it looks it.  The Milham has a variety of excellent introductory
material, puts the Platina documents in historical perspective, and
closely examines and explains the different manuscripts used in her
edition.

Neither book has redacted recipes.  However I find the Milham translation
superior in both content and readability.

Both books have the original Latin on facing pages with the translation.
the Mallinckrodt is not typeset.  The Milham is.

When nothing else was available, the Mallinckrodt was a God-send.  With
the Milham available at a reasonable price, the Mallinckrodt returns to
the shelf as a curiousity for the completist book-collector.

Elaina

And is anyone planning on coming to the cooking conference to meet Dr.
Milham in January?  Let me know!