SC - RE: running a feast

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 13 17:36:39 PDT 1999

Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:

> I have never heard of any rule against different foods for high table.  Its
> period that high table gets the best foods.  For practical matter, we usually
> serve the same foods with some additional goodies or improve the presentation
> etc.

I'm not sure what, exactly, the rule states, but I seem to vaguely
recall that it was a sweeping move against potentially ill-advised event
expenditures as they relate to alcohol and liability. I really don't
want to open that can of worms again, but I seem to recall there were
rules made about event funds paying for prizes, special foods, and other
expenditures, _such as alcohol_ for events where attendees would not
benefit equally.

I remember this set off a big thread on the East Kingdom list about
donating prizes and alcohol, so I suspect that even if there _is_ a rule
against buying, say, pheasant for high table, there's no reason why
somebody couldn't donate it if they wanted to. For the Coronation of
Horic and Leah (when I was young and foolish) I donated the roast for
high table, which was a fairly gigantic, entire seven-rib beef roast,
prime both in cut and in grade, which weighed about 35 pounds trimmed. I
french-cut and trimmed the ribs so the entire thing looked like a huge
rack of lamb, then applied silver leaf to the cleaned rib bones after
roasting it medium rare. The whole thing probably cost about $130
dollars, but it was before my son was born and I still had money
occasionally ;  ) , and I really wanted to go all out to make the
coronation feast for two really good friends an occasion they'd never
forget. They never did, at least not so far.

As it happens, the King made sure everyone at high table had as much of
the roast as they wanted, asked me to carve the rest, climbed down from
the dais (there was a stage in the hall), and went from table to table
with the platter, making sure everyone had a bit. They actually had
their own roasts, but while they were top rounds, they were by no means
anything to be ashamed of.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend such a donation to anyone, but anybody
can choose to donate anything they want as far as food goes, according
to inclination and budget.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy