SC - Help in getting to plan medieval luncheon for the college union

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Oct 13 22:13:57 PDT 1999

Frederich asked for thoughts on a few items to be cooked by others for a dinner.
Here are some of the files in the Florilegium that might be useful with some
ideas and recipes as well as other referances.

> Wassail or similar punch
wassail-msg       (15K)  9/ 4/97    Spiced cider and ale drinks.
  These were alcoholic. If you were really looking for non-alcoholic beverages
try this file:
beverages-NA-msg  (80K)  9/ 2/99    Non-alcoholic beverages.

> Serkunjamin (SP)
jalabs-msg        (59K)  6/ 2/99    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup base
such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).
   (a variety of Sekanjabin like drinks)

> Lombard or Icelandic chickens
chicken-msg      (138K)  9/27/99    Period and SCA chicken recipes.

> Norman ravelloies with grated cheese and butter
> perhaps a pea pottage
peas-msg          (52K)  7/23/99    Period peas. Pea broth. Recipes.

> perhaps roasted suckling pigs
pork-msg           (9K)  9/16/99    Use of pork in period. Pork recipes.
   You did say suckling pigs, but if you are real adventuresome:
whole-pig-msg     (26K)  4/ 1/99    Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.

> various veggies
vegetables-msg   (144K)  9/20/99    Period vegetables. Recipes.
turnips-msg       (31K)  9/29/99    Turnips in period. Recipes.
root-veg-msg     (100K)  9/ 7/99    Medieval and period root vegetables.

> Venison dish (he told me don't worry about cost, he will get whatever we want)
venison-msg       (25K)  7/19/99    Medieval and modern recipes for venison.
   But since he said he will get whatever you want:
food-sources-msg  (36K)  3/19/99    Modern sources for unusual medieval meats
                                       and other foods.
exotic-meats-msg  (49K)  4/ 1/99    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans,
ostrich,
                                       eels, peacocks, crawfish, dormice, snails
peacocks-msg      (24K)  3/17/99    Serving peacock sotelties safely.
seafood-msg       (33K) 10/ 6/99    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.

> fried oranges and pine nut candies for dessert
I believe the recipe(s) for the pine nut candie you may be thinking of is in
this file:
candy-msg        (136K)  9/23/99    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.

> Some sort of stew served in bread bowls.
I'm not sure there is any evidence to the bread bowls being done in the Middle
Ages.
But for stews you might check:
stews-bruets-msg  (62K)  5/26/99    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.

Or perhaps a soup?
soup-msg         (114K)  5/10/99    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events.
                                       recipes.

> Thanks for any ideas in advance

My appologies if you are already aware of these files.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****