SC - Has anyone ever encountered...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 14 11:18:10 PDT 1999

Hullo, the list!

In my current stack of things about which I've been meaning to canvass
opinions and info from youse guys, I am wondering if anyone else has
ever run across, heard of, seen, or otherwise had enter their personal universe:

A) A [probably South] German ravioli-like dumpling known in English as a
pig's ear, filled with some kind of curd cheese, and served with melted butter,

B) A name, in Spanish, for the brown crust on the bottom of a pot of
rice. The southern Chinese call this fan deoh, and eat it either
softened in soup or gravy, or deep-fried as a garnish in soups or
sauteed dishes. I've encountered Dominicans and Puerto Ricans who call
this pecau, pronounced pay gow, but I'm not sure how it's spelled,
because I've never seen it in writing. Would anyone know if this is
exclusive to the Caribbean region, or is the love of the crust from the
rice pot as the best part of the pot universal among those cultures of
Spanish origin?

Thanks for any info.

Adamantius
- --