SC - Syllabub - does anyone have a period recipe?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 14 22:07:14 PDT 1999

Lorix asked:
>Hence the syllabub idea.  Now I have some
>lovely OOP recipes for syllabub, but I was
>hoping that someone with a better library
>than mine might have a recipe, please,
>please?

My files mention that there are several syllabub recipes in "A
Sip Through Time". This file in the BEVERAGES section of my
Florilegium mentions several other sources for period recipes but
there are none in the file itself:
beverages-msg     (93K)  9/ 3/99    Beverages in general. alcholic drinks.

Here is the message about other sources. This message does imply that
they may not be proveably period though:

> Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 11:05:26 -0500 (CDT)
> From: alysk at ix.netcom.com (Elise Fleming)
> Subject: SC - Re: Syllabub
>
> Greetings!  Syllabub is a drink made of cream, wine, and sugar.  Some
> spices, such as nutmeg, can be added.  May, Digby and Fettiplace have
> recipes.  PPC (Petits Propos Culinaires) had articles about syllabub in
> two issues (52 and 53), debating the methods of making it, etc.
> According to the first article, Elizabeth David "implies that she knew
> of no syllabubs earlier than the 17th century."  That would place it,
> for the purists, OOP.  The discussion about methods of making it came
> from having read a recipe where one is supposed to milk the cow
> directly into the wine.  The author tried it and found that the
> syllabub curdled and smelled very bad.  The second article, by another
> person, went into more methods of making syllabubs, etc.  Terribly
> interesting if one wanted to make syllabub but probably not worth a
> long post here...  However, it's just one more reason to subscribe to
> PPC if one can afford it!  :-)
>
> Alys Katharine

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net