SC - Cameline Sauce

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Oct 15 10:51:15 PDT 1999

Seumas asked:
>I note cameline sauce used for lamb. Any opinions concerning it with
>goat? Or any period recipes/sauces specifically for goat (as opposed to
>generic meat). I was offered a goat for a feast in December. I will
>probably be roasting it in an outdoor firepit.
>
>Seumas

Here is a recipe for roast kid from Platina we tried once (in the oven). We
never got around to repeating the experiment, so note that our quantities,
etc., are only a first try. I've included at the end our comments on what
we would change the next time.

If you have never spit-roasted a whole animal outside, consult with those
who have--it has been discussed on this list.

Kid in Garlic
Platina Book 6 p. 97

Grease a whole kid or the fourth part of one, with lard and cleaned garlic
cloves; put it on a spit and turn it near the fire.  Baste it often with
sprigs of bay leaf or rosemary and the sauce which I am about to describe.
Take verjuice and the rich juice of the meat, the yolks of two eggs well
beaten, two cloves of garlic well pounded, a dash of saffron and a little
pepper and mix this all together and pour it into a dish.  With this (as I
said) you baste what you are cooking.  When it is cooked, put it into a
dish and pour part of the sauce over it and sprinkle with finely chopped
parsley.  This food, when it is well cooked, should be served quickly and
not let cool.

13.5 lb kid
~ 1/2 c lard
8 cloves garlic
4 sprigs of (bay or) rosemary
1 c verjuice
1/3 c meat broth
2 egg yolks
4 small cloves garlic for sauce
10 threads saffron
1/4 t pepper
parsley

Washed kid inside and out, dried, rubbed inside with garlic, outside with
lard.  Poked holes in outside and stuck garlic slivers in it.  Probably
should have put in more.  Greased pan, put in kid fat side up, preheated
oven to 450°, put in kid and turned down to 325°.  Roasted and basted until
internal temperature was 175°, ~2 1/2 hours.

Sauce:  meat broth made from kidneys, liver, some kid fat, simmered in 1 c
water (only about 1/3 c of it used.)  Mixed verjuice, broth, egg yolks,
crushed garlic, crushed saffron, pepper, used rosemary as basting brush.
Rosemary sat in sauce between bastings.

Next time:  more garlic.  More pepper in sauce? (Stuart says no)  Maybe
cook longer at lower temperature.  Maybe add salt.