SC - Topfenknodel

alysk at ix.netcom.com alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 16 06:57:46 PDT 1999

Greetings.  I happen to have the spiral recipe books from the Time-Life collection
(for which Cindy has the hard-bound volumes).  My ex took the hard-bound books; I kept
the recipe books!  Here is the recipe Cindy remembered.  It is from _Recipes: The
Cooking of Vienna's Empire_.

Topfenknodel (Cottage Cheese Dumplings)
To make about 12 dumplings

1/4 pound cottage cheese
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 quarter-pound stick), melted
1 teaspoon sugar
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup bread crumbs

With a wooden spoon, rub the cheese through a strainer into a mixing bowl.  Add 6
tablespoons of the melted butter, the sugar and a pinch of salt.  Beat the ingredients
together throughly in a mixing bowl or with an electric mixer at medium speed.  Beat
in the flour 2 tablespoons at a time, continuing to beat until the mixture becomes a
medium-firm dough.

In a 3-quart saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to boil and add a teaspoon of salt.

Form the dough into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and drip them into the water.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer the dumplings, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, turning
them occasionally with a slotted spoon.  Lift them from the pan and drain them on a
kitchen towel or on a double thickness of paper towels.

Spread the bread crumbs on a sheet of was paper and coat the dumplings with them.  In
a heavy skillet heat the rest of the butter over medium heat.  When the foam subsides,
add the dumplings to the skillet and brown them rapidly on all sides, shaking the skillet
from time to tome to prevent the dumplings from sticking and to help them keep their
shape.  Add more butter if necessary.  Serve "Topfenknodel" hot with jam or any kind
of stewed fruit.