SC - Period Beet Recipes (was: summer feast)

WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Sun Oct 17 06:19:39 PDT 1999

>From the Good Huswives Handmaid, 1588

How to make Lumbardy Tarts

Take beets, chop them small, and to them put grated bread and cheese, and
mingle them wel in the chopping.  Take a few corrans, and a dishe of sweet
butter, and melt it.  Then stir al these in the butter, together with three
yolkes of egges, sinamon, ginger, and sugar, and make your tart as large as
you will, and fill it with the stuffe, bake it, and serve it in.

I tried this once with canned beets and it was, well, not so good.  There was
a bitter after taste from the canned beets.  I haven't got around to trying
it with fresh beets, but it might taste better with them.  Good luck.

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother