SC - Period Beet Recipes (was: summer feast)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 17 18:19:31 PDT 1999

Wolfmother gave us a recipe:
> >From the Good Huswives Handmaid, 1588
>
> How to make Lumbardy Tarts
>
> Take beets, chop them small, and to them put grated bread and cheese, and
> mingle them wel in the chopping.  Take a few corrans, and a dishe of sweet
> butter, and melt it.  Then stir al these in the butter, together with three
> yolkes of egges, sinamon, ginger, and sugar, and make your tart as large as
> you will, and fill it with the stuffe, bake it, and serve it in.
>
> I tried this once with canned beets and it was, well, not so good.  There was
> a bitter after taste from the canned beets.  I haven't got around to trying
> it with fresh beets, but it might taste better with them.  Good luck.

Is there any particular reason you think this is to be done with beet roots
instead of beet leaves? This sounds very much like some of the tarts I think
I've seen that were done with various herbs.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****