SC - Period Beet Recipes (was: summer feast)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 18 05:41:11 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/17/99 9:12:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> stefan at texas.net writes:
>
> << Is there any particular reason you think this is to be done with beet roots
>  instead of beet leaves? >>
>
> This is the same question I asked myself. So off to the kitchen I went. The
> resulting product is definitely more tasty using greens instead of beetroot.
> This doesn't mean that greens were used but it does mean that my version of
> this recipe will specify the greens. :-)
>
> Ras

The 15th-century Rouen Tacuinum has an illustration for "bletes" or
beets, showing a lady cutting the greens off close to the ground and
gathering them in a basket. This may not have been universal practice,
but it at least indicates pretty clearly that it was done.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com