SC - summer feast

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Tue Oct 19 16:36:24 PDT 1999

I'm sorry that I missed this email, I don't know how but I skipped it. The
recipe is for beet roots and it originates from  Apicius. Here is some
background and the recipe;
The recipe I chose to create  is based on two recipes from Apicius: this is
from Flower's & Rosenbaums edition.

Book III Section II-4
Beetroot, another method, from Varro. Varro writes:” Take beetroot, rub clean
and cook in mulsum with a little salt and oil, or boil in water and oil with
salt; make a broth, and drink it. It is even better if a chicken has been
cooked in it first.”
and
Section XI-2
Boiled beets, another method- They are good served with a dressing of
mustard, al little oil and vinegar.
I chose to preserve the beets using a modern pickling method in order to take
advantage of the early preparation and  availability of fresh beets at a good
price. To make the recipe without canning, simply leave out the last step.
Some  variation  was used in the recipe presented, for example ; honey was
used in place of mulsum in the preserving process. Honey is one of the chief
ingredients in mulsum according to Flower & Rosenbaum.
Adapted Recipe
My recipe is based on the ingredients of the Apicius recipes and the pickling
recipes  that my grandmother used.
1 ½ lbs fresh beets
1 ½ cups white vinegar
½ cup water
½ cup honey
1 TB mustard seed

Boil the beets until the skins begin to fall off. Rinse and remove skins.
Chop into quarters or leave whole if small enough.
Combine remaining ingredients and boil for 5 minutes. Add beets and heat
through. In prepared canning jars spoon beets to shoulder of the jar, pour
over juice to within ¼ inch of  lip and seal.
Makes 2-3 pints