SC - 12th C. Mediterranean questions and OT Aargh!

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Oct 19 21:47:35 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 19 Oct 99,, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> de Nola's Libro de Guisado, Libro de Cocina, etc., had, as I recall,
> some supposedly Jewish recipes.
[snip]
> Maybe Lady Brighid can help you out. She's done a lot of work on de Nola's stuff.
>
> Adamantius

As far as I know, there are no Jewish recipes in de Nola.  There is a
recipe for "Moorish" eggplant which calls for bacon fat as an ingredient.
At the very end of the recipe, de Nola suggests nonchalantly that one
could substitute olive oil, since the Moors do not eat bacon.

The 13th century Andalusian cookbook in Cariadoc's collection has
some recipes which claim to be Jewish.  Perhaps His Grace could
comment on these.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)