SC - distilling laws

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Oct 20 13:32:22 PDT 1999

Just an update from the "Great White North";
I called the RCMP today because this question was nagging me and I wanted to
know for future reference. What I have found out so far is that the act of
distilling liquor is illegal without a permit/licence. The constable I spoke
with advised me to speak with Canada Customs & Excise, which I did. They have
advised me that owning a still is illegal or any apparatus that results in
ethyl alcohol. I asked about distilling things like rosewater, and he stated
that if it contains any amount of alcohol it is considered to be a distilled
spirit and therefore illegal, the issue of prosecuting would be a different
story although if found in conjuction with another crime, or in a search, the
still would be confiscated.
Of course I asked about getting a Licence and he categorically stated it
would be turned down unless we were a major distillery (ie Seagrams, Hiram
Walkers etc).   HOWEVER, the excise act is being reformed as we speak and
they will be DEREGULATING, the distillation issue so that the average
Jane/Joe can apply for a licence. This will not take place until passed,  but
is about to get third reading in the house, which means it becomes law as of
2001.

The Excise Act can be seen at
canada.justice.gc.ca
Sections 4- Distillery, and 10- Ministers refusal to an application for
licence  would be of interest to those wishing to get the nitty gritty.
I discussed the fact that my Italian neighbours (when I was young) brewed
their own grappa, and the constable explained that unless this became an
issue with the police and a search warrant was issued, it would be highly
unlikely that there would be any charges laid etc. Just the same, I wouldn't
be pushing my luck. Yet.

Hauviette

Updates soon.

Hauviette