SC - Period Beet Recipe & period quote about beets

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 06:24:08 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/21/99 2:08:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cclark at vicon.net writes:

<<  but that
 doesn't mean that they didn't apply the concepts at an intuitive level.

 Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon >>

Correct but since the roots of chard are so small in relation to the rest of
the plant, I find it extremely hard to belief that any one would have noticed
any nutritional effects if they were added to the overall diet. Also I think
you are forgetting that the average manor fed 20 people each meal. I, for
one, would never have destroyed a cut and come again plant so long as it was
producing leaves and stalks for eating. To do so would not be in the best
interests of the household with regard to mass of available food. Perhaps
such use did occur regularly late in period. But even then such destruction
would most likely have occurred in the late fall or early winter after top
production had dwindled to insignificance.

IMO, the introduction of 'nutritional' concepts into the discussion is at the
very most a highly unlikely reason for anyone in the middle ages to have
eaten these roots. Actually the introduction of 'nutrition' as a concept in
any discussion of medieval cookery would be questionable. Reasons for
introducing specific foods or parts of plants as medicinal would be more
appropriate for the medieval cook.

I think that the tendency to interject modern scientific reasoning into
period is, in most cases, an invalid argument. For instance, one could
wrongly argue that during the MA's greens were consumed in the spring time
because they were nutritionally superior. While the nutritional superiority
of greens is not to be doubted, the fact is that greens were specifically
eaten to 'purge' the body of the poisons accumulated during the winter months
and were one of the first fresh foods available at that time of year. Or to
put it another way, the eating of fresh greens after a long winter of
preserved foods simply made people feel better. We know it is was because of
the nutritional content. Medieval people only knew that it made them feel
better.

I have not seen anything that makes me change my mind about the use of beet
greens as being the rule rather than the exception in the middle ages.
Certainly evidence has been presented here that in late period beetroot was
becoming more common in wealthier households. I have no argument about their
use in early modern recipes. But I have seen little evidence that the root
was COMMONLY eaten in medieval households pre-1450 CE. The manuscripts we
have certainly do not indicate their use with any regularity in the MAs.

Ras