SC - language dictionaries

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 13:50:30 PDT 1999

- --- Robin Carroll-Mann <harper at idt.net> wrote:
> And it came to pass on 21 Oct 99,, that Robin
> Carroll-Mann wrote:
>
> > There are many sorts of snails, and all have four
> round horns, with a
> > little head on top: they are lubricous and xxx and
> without eyes, and
>
> Ooops!  "xxx" was my place-holder for the word
> "resualadizos", which I
> cannot find in any of my dictionaries.
>
> Brighid

A catalog just came to me which has astounded me.  I
have never ordered anything from these people, but
from what they are offering, I will.

The company is:

Schoenhof's Foreign Books
76A Mount Auburn St
Cambridge MA 02138
Tel: (617) 547-8855
Fax: (617) 547-8551
e-mail: info at schoenhofs.com
www.schoenhofs.com

and their catalog is:

The Language Catalog.

This catalog has dictionaries and grammars for 400
languages and dialects.  The catalog itself has more
than 630 pages full of dictionaries of every language
on earth and a few dead ones, too.  You name a
language, they seem to have a dictionary for it.  Some
of the language/dictionaries that have caught my
attention:

Aragonese
Andalusi Arabic
Aramaic/Biblical Aramaic
Catalan
Old English
Middle English
Old French
Medieval French
[including a history of the french language of the
14th and 15th centuries]
Gaulish
Low German
Middle Low German
Old High German
Middle High German
Old Prussian
Gothic
Ancient Greek
Classical Greek
Medieval Greek
Hebrew/Biblical Hebrew
Icelandic
Classical Latin
Medieval Latin
Old Norse
Occitan
and lots more ...

Brighid, I don't know if you have these books, but
the catalog lists a dictionary of obsolete and rarely
used words, by Elvira Munoz.  ISBN 84-283-1986-3
$32.95.  and a dictionary of medieval spanish by
Martin Alonso.  ISBN 84-7299-169-5 $189.95 (2v.
1635p.)  The Origins of Spanish : Language on the
Iberian Peninsula through the 11th Century, by Ramon
Menendez Pidal.  ISBN 84-239-47521. $99.95.  There are
quite a few other dictionaries mentioned that deal
with medieval Spanish.

This place appears to be a source for anyone who wishs
to buy dictionaries to help them with their
translations.

Huette

=====