SC - Russian dishes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 21 23:14:00 PDT 1999

Frederich asked:
> I will be having some Guests from Russian during the first week of
> Novemeber.
> Does anyone have some period Russian dishes I can make.

Have you check the Florilegium yet? Take a look at this file in the
FOOD-BY-REGION section:
fd-Russia-msg     (25K)  4/16/99    Russian food. Russian cookbooks.

Or this one is the BEVERAGES section:
kvass-msg         (57K) 10/ 8/99    Russian drink made from bread or grains.

You might also find this file useful in the CULTURES section:
Rus-Handbook-art  (97K)  9/ 2/99    Rus' Handbook from the Eoforwic Novogrod
                                       event AS 24. Edited by Nicolaa de Bracton

I can't remember if the last one has food recipes or not but it's probably
worth a look. It would give you some good background in period Russia if
nothing else.

Unfortunately, there don't appear to be many period Russian recipes. Although
Russia was an area that changed slowly. I've heard comments that the Middle
Ages really didn't end in Russia until the 18th century. So, unlike Italy
for instance, some of the sources technically out of our period of study
may still be valid.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: