SC - Beets redux...

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 26 14:42:20 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/26/99 9:10:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time, nanna at idunn.is
writes:

<< The red
 beet, when introduced in the 17th century, was described by Gerard (1633)
 with some enthusiasm ..."

 Nanna

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! I knew I had read about early beetroot
somewhere. :-) The description and information certainly backs up my original
opinion that the plant was not grown for the root so much as for the greens.

I am glad that we lengthened this discussion by delving into it so deeply. It
goes to show what can be accomplished when several minds get together and
throw in all their opinions and resources. Hopefully, Stefan has gathered
this thread together in to a section called beets or some such. I feel that
all of those on the list who participated in this lengthy thread have made a
real contribution to historical cookery. Vivats the list! :-)

Ras