SC - Recipe 4-Weekend of Wisdom

Lilinah biti-Anat lilinah at grin.net
Tue Oct 26 23:22:37 PDT 1999

>OK, but why is salt pork used over fresh?  Didn't they have fresh?  Were they
>on a long sea voyage? I always understood that salt anything was saved for
>when you didn't have fresh something.  And having a pig for meat seems common
>enough.
>Phillipa Seton

I gather from reading the commentary in the Medieval cookbooks i have that:
they liked the flavor...

...like modern Americans putting salt pork into pork and beans, or
hammy bits into split pea soup.

The modern French use - ok, now i've forgotten the word, is it
gammon? - similarly.

These cured porky bits are used to add richness and flavor. 'Course i
could be wrong, but that's the impression i've gotten in reading
several books on medieval cuisine. But i'm still wet behind the ears,
medieval cuisine-ly speaking...

Anahita